Dr. Roger W Irvine MBBS, DM
Dr. Roger Irvine is a graduate of the University of the West Indies School of Medicine class of 1990 and went on to specialize in Cardiothoracic Surgery. He was awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship in 1995 to enable a 2 year elective in Adult and Paediatric Cardiac surgery at the Harefield Hospital in the United Kingdom under the world renown Cardiac Surgeon, Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub. He returned to Jamaica in 1998 to complete the Doctor of Medicine post graduate program in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of the West Indies.
In 2001, he started the pacemaker clinic at the University Hospital of the West Indies, and commenced the implantation of state of the art pacemakers as well as implantable defibrillators, moving the Cardiac Rhythm management program to be on par with first world countries.
His areas of Expertise are Coronary Surgery, Cardiac Valve replacement and Repair, Surgery for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Dissection, Congenital Surgery, Vascular Access techniques (Implantation of Porta-Caths, Dialysis catheters and other vascular access devices), Implantation of Inferior Vena Caval Filters as well as the implantation and follow-up of Pacemakers and Cardiac Defibrillators. He presently works closely with Medtronic as well as Boston Scientific but also remains proficient with the interrogation and programming of St. Jude and Biotronic devices.
Dr. Irvine Provides the following services at the Heart Smart Centre by appointment:
- Consultation for patients who are deemed to be “surgical” by Dr. Lewis or Dr. Scott. This includes
- Bypass Surgery candidates
- Valve repair or replacement
- Pacemaker and defibrillator implantation
- Interrogation of pacemaker and defibrillator devices – Medtronic, Boston Scientific, Biotronic and St. Judes
- No surgery is performed at the Heart Smart Centre – only evaluation and preparation for surgery, for patients requiring same. All surgeries are performed in Kingston mainly at the University Hospital.